What are the best Foods for Winter?
Creating balance in your body with food during the Winter months
In Chinese medicine, winter belongs to the Kidneys. All salty foods and dark foods, foods that are purple, black or blue will benefit this organ. A list of foods to incorporate into your diet during the winter include:
– Fresh fish and salted fish
– Salted meat
– Caviar, any other fish eggs
– Shellfish of all kinds
– Beans of all kinds
– Seaweed and sea vegetables
– Soy sauce and Tamari
– Hearty soups, bone broths
– Blueberries and blackberries
– Wild rice
– Sesame seeds (specifically black sesame seeds), sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
All of these foods have a softening effect and promote moisture and calming of the body. They most benefit thin, dry and nervous people. As with all things in life, balance is key. So start incorporating some of these foods into an already well balanced diet to achieve optimal health and wellness.